MA MAWI WI CHI ITATA CENTRE, INC
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL Employment Opportunity
January 4, 2023
Classification: Casual (on an as-needed basis)
Location: Hillside Beach (Grey Buffalo Grandfather Wellness Lodge)
Starting Wage: Dependent on Experience/Dependent on Qualifications
The Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre is currently looking for a Cook to provide service at our Learning Centre located in Hillside Beach, Manitoba. This service is required on an as-needed basis depending on the bookings/use of the Learning Centre. The Centre is a 5,600 square foot building with 12 bedrooms (36 beds), a full commercial kitchen and a Great Room. We provide a large space for various agencies and organizations throughout Manitoba, Canada and Internationally to gather for meetings, retreats, celebrations, and ceremonies.
This position is responsible for the full range of kitchen duties normally encountered in a small cafeteria or kitchen. Duties include directing the activities of part-time assistant cooks, food service workers or volunteers. General supervision is received from the Grey Buffalo Team who provides instruction on the type and quantity of food to be prepared, but not on methods of preparation. As well, cleaning personnel is needed during and after guests check out.
- Prepares or directs preparation of regular and special diet foods (Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal, Gluten-free, etc.) according to prescribed menus and recipes, according to prescribed menus and recipes.
- Follows established schedules in cooking, baking, sanitation, and related activities.
- Determines proper cooking time and temperature.
- Takes inventory of supplies on hand and orders food supplies, ingredients, and other consumables on a scheduled basis, as determined by menu and estimated number of diners.
- Cleans and sanitizes all food preparation equipment and ensures that it is kept in safe and operable condition.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Shopping for groceries and cleaning supplies, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to prepare traditional Indigenous foods.
- Operate power driven equipment such as a meat slicer or mixer.
- Train and coordinate the work of part-time assistants engaged in volume food preparation.
- Move objects between 20-50 pounds short distances (20 feet or less).
- Replenish toilet tissue, hand towels and soap, as needed.
- Remove trash and recycling daily.
- Restock materials and supplies as needed.
- Ensure compliance with WHMIS and any other required legislation regarding chemical products.
- Complete required training, including any required health and safety training.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and a vehicle.
- Must possess a current Safe Food Handler’s Certificate, at the time of hire.
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be able to schedule and prioritize work.
- Strong communication and problem-solving ability.
- Strong attention to detail.
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets.
Open until position is filled.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW, WILL BE CONTACTED.
Attention: Brittany Delaquis, Human Resources Assistant
Ma Mawi WI Chi Itata Centre, Inc
350-200 Alpine Way
Headingley, Manitoba R4H 0B7
Fax: 204-946-5042 or Email: HR@mamawi.com