MA MAWI WI CHI ITATA CENTRE, INC.
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL Employment Opportunities July 13, 2022
Position Title: Live in Student Housing Mentors (Female & Male Residences)
Classification: Contract (Full-Time Terms to June 30, 2023)
Salary: See Salary range
The Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre is currently seeking individuals for the LIVE IN Mentor positions with our Yellow Shawl Student Housing program. This unique program is a partnership between the Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre and Community Education Development Association (CEDA) that phases in a structured independent living for youth between the ages of 16 to 21, housing up to 1-3 Youth in each of the 2 female and 3 male units.
The Yellow Shawl Student Housing program is an innovative youth focused program, providing safe and supportive housing with a continuum of structure and supervision ranging from peer support to more direct staffing involvement in daily activities.
Student Housing Mentors are live-in Mentors, who are mature adults, responsible for providing general stability within the residence, when required. Creating a supportive environment with increased support and intervention with the youth, as needed. Mentors are contracted and paid: $1,500/month, have their own room, free rent, but food and personal items are their responsibility. Must be in the home when youth are present (morning, evening/weekends) and are provided with respite one weekend each month. This role does support time to attend school/university and have another part-time job, if the functioning of the home for youth is not compromised.
As contracted positions, Mentors are not considered employees of the Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre.
- Previous experience working with Indigenous youth and their families.
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with youth to improve their health and well-being.
- Experience providing personalized supports with basic life skills development.
- Ability to use strength-based and solution-focused, non-judgmental approaches.
- Ability to take initiative, take direction and work well in a team setting.
- Proficient in MS Office applications and basic skills in database, email, and social media.
- Understanding of Indigenous customs, experience, traditions, and values is an asset.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle would be an asset.
- Subject to a criminal record check, child abuse registry and prior contact checks.
- Must be fully immunized against COVID-19
Closing Date ongoing until positions filled:
Human Resources Manager
Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre, Inc
350-200 Alpine Way, Headingly, Manitoba R4H 0B7
Fax # 204- 946-5042 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.