Investing in the New Generation of Leaders
Investing in Indigenous youth to thrive and become the new generation of leaders through culture, education, training, employment and leadership development opportunities.
Through Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre’s Indigenous Youth Programs, young people are given the chance they need to learn, grow and share their gifts and strengths. Programs include:
- Cultural Program: A year round program that offers cultural teachings, sacred ceremonies such as sweats & pipe ceremonies, community medicine picking, as well as teaching the youth about the Aboriginal culture, traditions and perspectives through the importance of the medicines and the Seven Sacred Teachings.
- Hunters & Gatherers (Cubs & Scouts):Bi-Weekly structured programming for boys and girls ages 8-13 to learn about the Aboriginal Culture, personal development and in a fun and safe atmosphere! Outings include tobogganing, corn maze, laser tag, arts & crafts and much more!
- Future is Yours:A program designed for youth ages 14-20 to explore the Aboriginal Culture while gaining the skills to build a resume, receive volunteer experience, employment skills, receive certified training and interview tips.
- Positive Adolescent Sexuality Support (P.A.S.S): On request basis, youth are educated on topics such as Healthy Relationships, Teen Dating Violence, Birth Control Methods, STI/STDs, Self Esteem and much more. P.A.S.S also incorporates Cultural teachings and focuses on the importance of educating our Aboriginal youth in a positive, comfortable, safe and supportive environment.
- Positive Athletic Cultural Experience (P.A.C.E):Daily, at Turtle Island Neighbourhood Centre P.A.C.E offers free recreational and cultural programming during after-school hours to youth of all ages. Programming may include floor hockey, hip hop clubs, arts & crafts, Pow Wow Clubs, Drum groups, Traditional Arts & Crafts, Sacred Ceremonies, Aboriginal Language Workshops and much more
- Rising Sun Pow Wow Club: Operates out of 2 sites on Wednesday and Friday from 6 pm—8 pm. The Rising Sun Pow Wow Club teaches families the art of Pow Wow Dance, Song, Drum and teachings. Traditional Arts & Crafts and much more are included in this year’s Pow Wow Club. Everyone is welcome to join regardless of age or experience. Healthy snacks are provided following the Pow Wow Club. Locations are as follows:
- Wednesday @ Turtle Island Neighborhood Centre – 510 King Street
- Friday @ Win Gardner – 363 McGregor Avenue