Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc.
Internal/External Employment Opportunity
October 26, 2023
Position Title: Family Helper
Location: 455 King Street
Salary: To be Negotiated
Background: TheNagijeung Abinoojiik(Caring for our Children) is a 24-hour Indigenous values, culturally relevant, strength based, community-based crisis response service for Winnipeg North End/Inner-city families and care providers who need support to keep their families together and children and youth safe. Under the supervision of the Nagijeung Abinoojiik Coordinator and in accordance with Ma Mawi Chi Itata Centre’s philosophy and principles for service, the Family Helper will provide culturally appropriate services aimed at stabilizing and supporting families in crisis to ensure the least disruption (i.e. prevent involvement or further involvement with the child welfare system). Family Helpers will assist and provide families/caregivers with immediate in-home support services and supporting/assisting with access to community response services.
- Minimal of 2 years’ direct work experience in family and community care services.
- Knowledge and/or experience working with the North End and Inner-City Services and Networks.
- Knowledge of early childhood development and growth and effective parenting.
- Experience working with Indigenous community.
- Understanding of social factors that affect health and well-being (Particularly in Winnipeg North End and Inner-City families).
- Understanding of strength-based approach, trauma- informed care, community capacity models, solution focused and 24-hour caring response practices.
- Valid Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle would be an asset.
- Understanding of Indigenous customs, experience, traditions, and values.
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit candidates are encouraged to apply.
- All employees are subject to a Criminal Record check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Child Abuse Registry and Prior Contact checks.
- Ability to speak an Indigenous language would be an asset
- Ability to work with families in crisis that experience significant challenges, understanding of mental health challenges, addiction challenges and identify community resources for support.
- Initiative to plan, organize and to manage time effectively both independently and in a team setting.
- Strong verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrating effective and timely documentation and meeting deadlines.
- Strong non-judgmental problem-solving ability, conflict resolution and decision-making skills.
- Physically capable of providing service in a wide variety of community settings under varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Provide childcare in crisis situations.
- Perform basic household tasks such as light housekeeping and cooking.
- Provide emotional support to parents/caregivers, children, and youth.
- Ability to role model effective parenting skills and positive parent/child interactions.
Open until filled.
Attention: Brittany Delaquis
Human Resources Assistant
Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre, Inc
350-200 Alpine Way
Headingly, Manitoba R4H 0B7
Fax # 204-946-5042 or HR@mamawi.com We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As an Indigenous employer, we encourage First Nations, Inuit and Métis applicants to apply.