MA MAWI WI CHI ITATA CENTRE, INC.
November 14, 2023
Position Title: Yellow Shawl Live in Student Housing Mentor
Salary: See Salary range
Background: Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre is currently seeking an individual for the LIVE IN Yellow Shawl Student Mentor positions. This program is a partnership between the Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre and Community Education Development Association (CEDA) and will phase in a structured independent living program for up to 14-youth between 16 to 21 years of age who need an innovative youth housing program focused on providing safe and supportive housing with a continuum of structure and supervision ranging from peer support to more direct staffing involvement in daily activities. Mature adults responsible will be responsible for providing for the general stability and care of the home and, for the direct support and intervention with youth as needed.
Student Housing Mentors are live-in Mentors, responsible adult(s) in each unit and provides for the general stability in the home and, when required, for increased support and intervention with youth residents. Mentors are paid: $1,500/month have their own room, free rent but food and personal items is their responsibility. Is required to be in the home when youth are present (morning, evening/weekends) and are provided respite one weekend per month. This position does support time to attend school/university and have another part-time job if the functioning of the home for youth is not compromised. (This is a contract position with no employee benefits).
- Experience working with Indigenous youth and their families.
- Establishing trusting relationships with youth to improve their health and well-being.
- Ability to use strength-based and solution-focused and non-judgmental approaches.
- Ability to take initiative and to take direction and work well in a team setting.
- Flexibility to workdays, evenings and weekends as may be required.
- Proficient in MS Office applications and basic skills in database, email, and social media.
- Understanding of Indigenous customs, experience, traditions, and values is an asset.
- CPR and First Aid valid Certification.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License and access to a vehicle would be an asset.
- All applicants must provide a criminal record check and child abuse check.
Open until Filled.
Attention: Brittany Delaquis, Human Resources Assistant
Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc.
350-200 Alpine Way
Headingley, MB R4H 0B7
Fax # 204-946-5042 or HR@mamawi.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As an Indigenous employer, we encourage First Nations, Inuit and Métis applicants to self declare when applying.